DeKalb County Sheriff's Department
Personal & Home Security Survey
Patrick Ray, Sheriff
Please answer all questions below.
This is a tool to assist you in protecting you and your property.
Neighborhood Security: Yes or No
- Is your house number visible from the street or road with numbers at least 3" high?
- Can your neighbors see your house?
- Do you know your neighbors, including all occupants?
- Have you talked to your neighbors about mutual neighborhood security?
- Do you leave a light on every night whether you are home or not?
- Do you routinely lock your door every time you leave, no matter how long?
- Do you leave a house key with a family member when you are away?
Doors and Windows: Yes or No
- Are your outside entrance doors solid core and strong enough to withstand excessive force?
- Do your door frames fit snugly around your exterior doors?
- Are the strike plates and frames strong enough withstand excessive force?
- Is there a wide-angle viewer installed in your front and back door?
- If you have small children at home, have you installed a wide-angel viewer to accommodate their size?
- Are all outside doors equipped with single-cylinder deadbolt locks with at least a 1" throw?
- Do you close and LOCK your garage door even if you are home?
- Do you LOCK the doors going into the garage from your house or yard?
- Do your basement doors have extra protection?
- Do your casement windows work properly, without excess play?
- Do you check to see if all windows are locked whenever you leave the house?
- Do you put a board or dowel that snugly fits in the inside track of your sliding glass door?
- Have you pinned your sliding glass door?
- Have you done the same for your sliding glass windows?
- Do all your windows have proper locks on them?
- If you have louvered windows, are the panel epoxied in place?
- Have you walked around your house looking for "opportunities" that a burglar might use?
- Have you trimmed all your hedges, bushes and trees so they can't hide a burglar at work on your windows and doors?
- If you live in an apartment or other multi-family unit dwelling, do you make it a point to immediately notify management of any lighting or other security problems?
C: Personal Security: Yes or No
- Do you know the emergency phone number of your local law enforcement agency?
- Do you ask trusted neighbors to watch your house if you are going to be gone over night?
- Do you use automatic timers on lights, TVs and radios in your house?
- Does your house appear that someone is home?
- Do you ask a trusted neighbor to pick up newspapers, mail and other deliveries when you are going to be gone for an extended period of time?
- Do you ask your neighbors to maintain your lawn when gone for an extended period of time?
- Have you recorded the make, model and serial numbers of all your valuables?
- Have you etched your driver's license number on valuables?
- Have you photographed items such as jewelry, china and crystal for identification purposes?
- Do you record and keep in a secure place all your credit card and ATM numbers, together with phone numbers to cancel them should they get lost or stolen?
- Do you take precautions when using telephone calling cards in public and when entering Personal Identification Number into an ATM machine?
- Have you removed all identification tags from your key ring?
- Do you always lock your car when you get out?
- Do you have a working flash light in your car?
- Do you look in your car, especially the back seat, before you get in?
- Do you put all packages in the trunk instead of the back seat?
- If you have small children, have you taught them what to do and how to ask for help should become separated from you?
- Since you moved in, have you had all your door locks re-keyed or replaced?
- Do you turn your ring tone volume down, or off, on your telephone when you are away?
- Do you have your neighbor park an extra car in your driveway when you are away for a few days?
- Do you have a cellular phone available in your home in case phone lines are cut?
After completing this survey and thinking about these issues,
are you helping protect yourself, your family and your own property?